In honor of Holling C. Holling’s birthday today, I wanted to share a great curriculum and the books! It’s my “What would you recommend?” post and the new “Once Upon a Time” birthday posts all rolled into one! So Happy Birthday, Holling!
Holling C. Holling (1900-1973) – Born in Jackson County, Michigan, in 1900, Holling Clancy Holling graduated from the Art Institute of Chicago in 1923. He then worked in a taxidermy department of the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago and spent time working in anthropology under Dr. Ralph Linton. During this period, he married Lucille Webster and within a year of their marriage accepted a position as art instructor on the first University World Cruise, sponsored by New York University. For many years, Holling C. Holling dedicated much of his time and interest to making books for children. Much of the material he used was known to him first hand, and his wife, Lucille, worked with him on many of the illustrations.(edelweiss.com)
RA: K-A R: 2-A
I was first introduced to the Holling books with Paddle-to-the-Sea. Then another homeschool mom told me about Beautiful Feet’s Geography: A Literature Approach. The format is perfect for studying each book individually, but using the geography maps and activities to demonstrate how they all work together to illustrate American history. The curriculum is recommended for Intermediate grades 4-6. The curriculum and readings can be completed across multiple grade levels as read-alouds, then assigning additional reading and map work for older grades.
- Shop Local! – As a bookstore manager myself, I highly recommend shopping your local homeschool resource store. They work really hard to be there for their homeschool families year round! (Help us update our Store Locator with your favorite store! Fill out a Contact Us form!)
- Shop HER Distribution! Paddle-to-the-Sea Seabird Minn of the Mississippi Tree in the Trail
- Shop the publishers directly! Beautiful Feet Books (#affiliate) Publishers and authors work hard to create great educational content. Support them directly by shopping on their sites.
- For the out-of-print, hard to find, and random pieces of the recommended resources, I’m including Amazon pictures and links. By clicking links into Amazon Marketplace, I do earn a small commission based on your purchase. It doesn’t change the listed price, it just supports my glorious book addiction.
- Local Library: utilize your local library and inter-library loan for the hard to find, out of print books. Also, many books can be used in place of others based on their subject.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $6.99Was: $7.99
Price: Out of stock
And don’t forget to have fun with it! Enjoy!